I am not throwing away my shot! (June 13, 2022)
Hello Everyone!
(At least everyone that reads this email)
It has been an eventful week here in Georgia. I am now in my new area the Hamilton Mill ward, and I will have to say it is the opposite of Ellijay.
If you can imagine with me for a moment I know you haven't been to either of these places, but humor me please. Ellijay one of the largest areas in the mission in Georgia, trees everywhere with very little amount of people for miles. Cities are more like towns, a place where people go to get away from other people. Now imagine Hamilton Mill, still lots of trees however it is a smaller area, berry much so. There are people everywhere, there are things, places everywhere. I live in an apartment complex behind a Costco, and down the street from The Mall of Georgia. So yeah the areas are different. I love this area and now I get to tell you why.
Transfers when we get to the mission office I get to see a lot of good friends and we catch each other about what is happening in our lives. I got to see Elder Riddle again which was amazing. And then he introduced me to my new Companion Elder Cameron. He starts by giving me a big hug and then telling me a little bit about the area, and at first I was worried.
●First, he tells me that everyone there is rich and it makes it hard for missionary work.
●Second, he tells me that a lot of the people that were recently baptized have left the church and don't want to talk to us.
●Third, he tells me the members are great, when they are in town because a lot are on vacations and are on them for quite some time.
This is how I started, and I will admit I was a little nervous. We just started to go for it and this past week went well. We visited a lot of members, and most had either gotten back from a trip recently or were planning on going on one soon. Every member we did meet with was great, and I love them already, and can't wait to get to know them better and better twill we get to the point were we can read each other's mind.
I mentioned earlier that we live close to The Mall of Georgia, and I know that some of you might be asking if I have been there. The answer is yes, yes to everyday except Sunday. Before you grab your pitch forks, and torches, just know that we were doing our contacts for the day there, and nothing else. We did grab some Chick-fil-A near there, but that is not related, and everyone knows I need my Chick-fil-A. It is different going to the mall as a missionary because you go there with a purpose, not one to shop for things, but to see how you can reach out to others and help them come closer to the Savior. I don't feel as attached to all of the stores there because I'm focused more on Christ than I have ever been in my life.
We didn't have many lessons this week, and that seems pretty normal although I hope to change that with Elder Cameron, by finding new friends to teach. We did have this lesson with this guy named Kevin, and he is a nice guy. We talked and got to know him better, and had a member there with us and she helped out so much. At the beginning he was comparing religions,(he is also a pastor for his church), but we explained what our purpose as missionaries we are not to compare, but to teach of a message that brings us closer to Christ. After that we were able to have a great lesson were we taught the restoration. At the end he said that if the Book of Mormon is true than he needs to repent. Which was awesome to hear him say that and know what the next step for is. Now we just have to help him along with his path.
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say that it is starting to get hot. I think the moment that I felt that it was the hottest when we were going around a neighborhood and started to talk to this guy that was sitting on his porch. We talked with him for a little bit, and testifying about what we do ask missionary, however this man just took the conversation and talked, and talked and talked a little more. He was a nice man, he talked to us for over an hour, and I tried paying attention but I was focusing on a couple of things.
●One how can I turn this conversation around where we can start teaching him
●Two if he doesn't want to be taught how do we politely end the conversation and keep going to find someone who is interested.
●Three, I tried not to think about this but I couldn't help it. Man the sun sure is bright today, and is it just me or is it really hot out here.
It was hot out there, and while this man was talking to us for about an hour the sun was directly facing us. I need to get used to the heat quickly before I start melting and getting sunburned every day. Thankful I made sure to put on sunscreen, so I didn't get burned....hopefully.
We had a Zone gathering at our Stake President's house, and he is an awesome man. Wise and fun to be around, plus he looks like Mr. Incredible. I wish I had a picture to prove that I am telling the truth, but for now you'll have to talk my word for it. While we were there as a Zone I noticed that about half of the Zone were people that I have been the same Zone in the past. One Elder that came in with me is in the same zone as well, and we have been in the same zone for our entire mission so far. Love that man and I feel that I'm getting to be myself around people more, and making friendships.
I know that this area is going to have its challenges. Having heard about them before I got here, and after being here for a week. With all that stands in front of me I know that it is not impossible with the Savior standing beside me. I know that if I am working hard and doing all that I can do to help others and do God's will, then I help bring miracles into this area. While I am here I am not giving up my chance to help others and to do what I am needed to do while I am here. Or in other words, "I am not throwing away my shot!" All quotes aside I love my Savior and I am grateful to be in a new opportunity to get to know Him more and help others do the same. I know that He knows and loves me. And I know that there are many that don't know that. I also know that I can help them know, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.
◆Disclaimer◆
I didn't take pictures thus week sorry, but to make sure that you guys don't forget what I look like I took some pictures before I sent this email. So here you go and sorry they are too exciting. Maybe I'll get some at the mall this week.
In this apartment there has been a lot of soda or sparkling water drunk, and the cans gave been keep. I'm glad I have only contributed one can.
A big map of my small area




Comments
Post a Comment